The families of Valdo Calocane's victims speaking outside Nottingham Crown Court. Credit Alice Reed.

The family of one of Valdo Calocane’s victims have said they were ‘rushed, hastened and railroaded’ by a decision to accept a guilty manslaughter plea.

Barnaby Webber’s family say justice has not been served today, hitting out at what they see as failures in the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and the police service.

The 19-year-old University of Nottingham student was killed by Calocane, 32, on June 13 last year alongside fellow student Grace O’Malley-Kumar and 65-year-old school caretaker Ian Coates.

In a statement delivered today, Barnaby’s mum says the CPS did not consult with them on accepting the defence’s manslaughter plea. “Instead we have been rushed, hastened and railroaded,” Emma Webber said.

Late last year, prosecutors accepted a plea of manslaughter from Calocane on the basis of diminished responsibility after he denied murder charges in November.

Prosecutor Karim Khalil said the families of the victims had been consulted before the prosecution decided to accept the pleas entered.