Trent Bridge will host the opening games of the third edition of The Hundred cricket tournament.
The fixtures for the tournament were released this morning and both the women’s and men’s side will play Southern Brave on the competition’s opening day on Tuesday, August 1.
This will be the first of four double headers at Trent Bridge with matches against Northern Superchargers, Manchester Originals and Birmingham Phoenix to follow in Nottingham this August.
Last season proved a very successful one for the Rockets in both the men’s and women’s competition in which the men’s team won their competition and the women’s side reached the eliminator round.
The Rockets enjoyed strong support in their home games last year and were treated to watching star players such as Dawid Malan, Rashid Khan, Joe Root and the captain Lewis Gregory in the men’s squad and Mignon Du Preez, Alana King, Katherine Brunt and captain Nat Sciver in the women’s.
The Rockets will be hoping for another very successful campaign and the two captains spoke about how much they appreciated the home crowd and enjoyed playing games at Trent Bridge last summer.
Speaking to trentbridge.co.uk, men’s captain Lewis Gregory said:
“Trent Bridge is an amazing place to play cricket, especially during the Hundred with the music and hundreds of kids cheering for you in the crowd.
“The support we got at home went a long way to helping us finish top of the table and win the competition last year.”
Women’s captain Nat Sciver said:
“The first two years of The Hundred have been amazing.
“The crowd at Trent Bridge is like having an extra player and it’s great to get to meet some of the fans after the games and hopefully inspire the next generation to have a go at cricket.
“We were desperate to reach the final last year but just fell short, so there will be that added bit of determination in 2023 to go all the way.”
The Hundred’s draft is set to take place on Thursday, March 2 and will make history this year with it being the first official women’s sports draft in the UK – in the first two years only the men’s league had one.
The two finals take place at Lord’s on 27th August where the Rockets will no doubt be hoping for a day to remember in London.
- This summer is the third edition of the Hundred that was first staged in 2021.
- It’s introduced new format of cricket in which both teams have a maximum of 100 balls in a batting innings while bowlers can bowl up to 20 balls each.
- Eight teams are in the tournament with each playing eight initial league games – teams play two games against their nearest regional rival.
- The team who finishes top of the league goes straight into the finals while the 2nd and 3rd placed teams will face off in the ‘eliminator’ with the winners going through to the final.
- Last year the women’s tournament started later and only had six league matches each due to the Commonwealth Games cricket tournament.
- Trent Rockets had a successful campaign last year – the men won their tournament and the women reached the eliminator.