Nottingham Forest women will be keeping an eye out on the draw tonight as they get set for their first National League Cup semi final in seven years. (Credit: Frantzou Fleurine)

Nottingham Forest women beat Burnley 2-1 in the National League Cup to reach their first semi final since 2016 and end Burnley’s staggering unbeaten run.

The stunning win for the Reds saw the Clarets fall to their first defeat in almost a calendar year and provided manager Jonathon Morgan his first defeat since signing in May 2022.

Charlotte Steggles opened the scoring for Forest on the half hour mark via converting a penalty into the bottom left corner after pushing for chances and keeping Burnley at bay.

The game tailed off and Forest were happy to go into the break 1-0 up before coming back out strong to secure the second goal.

It would have come earlier if it wasn’t for a tremendous save from Claret’s skipper Lauren Bracewell to keep out a Charlotte Greengrass volley.

Chances kept coming for the Reds who were clearly more up for the tie than the Clarets.

On the hour mark Forest were forced into a substitution as captain and defender Lyndsey Harkin was brought down and was unable to continue.

The Clarets took the injury pause in their stride and came close to an equaliser when Millie Ravening put Leah Embley through on goal, but the Burnley forward dragged her shot just wide.

Missing that chance proved very costly for Burnley as the Reds quick counter attack was finished off by Gianna Mitchell.

The forward was only on the pitch for four minutes before scoring the doubler from the edge of the box on the 80th minute.

Burnley didn’t give up though and earned a consolation goal with six minutes to go via debutant Alyssa Aherne, who slotted the ball into the corner after a light touch from Amaya Coleman-Evans.

A grand stand finish was set up, and with Burnley prowling a dangerous free-kick was won on the edge of the area, however it could not be converted and the Reds progressed.

The draw for the semi-finals takes place tonight live on talkSPORT2 at 7.15pm.