Post-Covid-19, Nottingham’s high streets and shopping centres are set to have a major change.
On February 1, 2020, the collapsing Arcadia Group brands were bought out by online retail giant ASOS while Boohoo recently bought out Debenhams.
The retail industry is dying rapidly as a result of a shift to online shopping and the impact of lockdowns and restrictions due to Covid-19.
The closure of big fixtures shops like Topshop, Topman, Dorothy Perkins, Wallis, Burton, Miss Selfridge will leave around 2,500 employees in 70 stores nationwide without a job.
Those working in clothing stores face uncertainty with more competition for fewer roles in this sector.
Other professions may need to be considered so here are some transferable skills you already have:
- Time management – this is essential for any job you are applying for. In retail, making sure you open the store on time and hitting sales targets on a deadline are great examples of when applying this skill.
- Teamwork – working alongside others improves communication skills, helps you know how to collaborate and helps you take constructive criticism.
- Administration – sorting out payroll and ordering stock are great examples of administrative duties.
- Multitasking – the ability to do multiple jobs at once and know when to prioritise a role is useful, especially in busy industries; this is appealing to future employers.
- Active listening – another essential skill for any job as communication is key.
- Business principles – for example, retail teaches you the basics like understanding how to promote a product.
- Banking duties/Cash handling skills – sorting out the daily taking and analysing reports from head office are great examples.