The Stags celebrate after Grant fires them ahead early on. Image credit - Mansfield Town

A scintillating contest between two in-form sides ends as a draw after a Jorge Grant opener was cancelled out by a Reuben Reid header on Tuesday January, 29.

The deadlock was broken after Grant fired home from the edge of the pitch in the 14th minute after being played in by Nicky Ajose. Mansfield continued to apply pressure throughout the first half, striking the woodwork twice in quick succession.

After the break Forest Green scored the all important equaliser, with Reid flicking the ball in at the front post with 20 minutes to spare.

David Flitcroft named an unchanged starting line-up from his sides 3-0 victory over Tranmere Rovers last weekend, meaning new signing Gethin Jones could only settle for a place on the bench.

The Stags had to soak up early pressure from the hosts but began to grow as the game went on.

The Stags continued to threaten with Tyler Walker rifling a bouncing 25-yard strike curing away from the goalkeeper, only to be kicked onto the bar by Montgomery.

The Stags went into the break with a slender lead that should have been more, after numerous missed chances.

Rovers manager Mark Cooper’s half-time team talk sought to level the game.

As the game reached its last half an hour, Flitcroft made his first substitution, replacing the goal provider Ajose with new signing Jones.

Finally, the hosts continual pressure, with 20 minutes remaining, Liam Shephard lofted a cross towards the six-yard box with substitute Reuben Reid free to head the ball home.

After five minutes was added on by the official, The Stags looked to hold out for a well deserved point, and they did just that.

While they should have had the game wrapped up in the first half, The Stags will be happy to take a point back to the East Midlands.

The draw leaves Mansfield four points behind Lincoln who have a game in hand.

The Stags face Macclesfield, who sit second bottom, at home on Saturday.