A house fire caused by a tumble dryer left a family-of-three trapped upstairs in their home, and has prompted the fire service to issue a safety warning.
The fire broke out on Sunday January 28 at 00:23am, on Calverton Road, Arnold, and spread quickly along with toxic smoke due to some of the downstairs doors being open.
- Tumble dryers
- Washing machines
- Water coolers
- Microwave ovens
- Air conditioners
- Water heaters
Firefighters extinguished the blaze after the family had been rescued by a brave neighbour who heard shouts for help from inside.
Station Manager Jonathan Holford attended the incident, and said: “This incident had the potential to have more serious consequences, and the family are lucky to be alive thanks to their neighbour.”
Now firefighters are reminding people to test and fit their smoke alarms, make sure internal doors are shut before going to bed, and to be aware of any recall notices for white goods.
“Never wait for the smell of smoke to wake you up and always buy yourself time to safely exit your property in the event of a fire by installing smoke alarms and testing them regularly.”
“You might think that we as a Service talk a lot about smoke alarms, but I cannot stress enough that such a simple measure can save your life and those of your loved ones.”
POLL: Is it safe to leave your tumble dryer running overnight?
A house fire in #Arnold over the weekend has promoted us to issue a reminder about home fire safety – please make sure that you test you have smoke alarms and test them regularly #PressToTest https://t.co/DQrcEzRFBL
— Notts Fire (@nottsfire) 29 January 2018
POLL RESULT: 90% of you guessed correctly – you should never leave your tumble dryers running overnight. A family-of-three from #Arnold are lucky to be alive after their tumble dryer caught fire, so please make sure you refresh your safety routine https://t.co/0M8FEYXYdA https://t.co/GrZwtfRJR7
— Notts Fire (@nottsfire) 30 January 2018
Jonathan added that there are plenty of things you can do yourself to make sure that you are as safe from fire as possible.
He said: “In this case, the fire was caused by a tumble dryer, and while we would never recommend leaving these on overnight or unattended in general, it is also important to check for any recalls on your white goods which could mean that they are at risk of fault or even fire.”
He added: “It could be that you have had a letter from the manufacturer of your appliance, and if this is the case, I would urge you to take action as soon as possible. We would always advise you to follow the advice of the manufacturer, and alternatively, you can check on their website for the latest recalls. When was the last time you did this? If you take just five minutes to do this today, you can ensure that you are keeping your household safe.”