The Motorpoint Arena was full to the brim of excited darts fans last night as the second week of the Betway Premier League kicked off in Nottingham.

The first match of the evening was the 2009 runner up, Adrian Lewis, up against Dave Chisnall.

Both players has a slow start to the game with neither player hitting the big scores.

Adrian Lewis raced into the lead and never looked back as he secured a 7-2 victory, leaving Chisnall rooted to the bottom of the league.

The focus of the night was on the second match, as six times Premier League champion, Phil Taylor squared up against James Wade.

With Taylor set to retire from darts at the end of the season, the 56-year-old was looking for the fairy-tale ending by winning the Premier League crown for the seventh and last time.

Wade, who was looking to spoil the party and took an early lead, before being pegged back to three legs all.

Peter Taylor and James Wade battle it out


All the signs were pointing towards a Wade victory as Taylor struggled throughout to hit the treble 20.

But with the scores tied, Taylor rolled back the years and reminded us why he is one of the best as he checked out the 11th leg with a magnificent 142.

Wade then took the last leg to earn him and Taylor a well earned point.

Next up was the Flying Scotsman, Gary Anderson as he played Jelle Klaasen. Both players looked eager to get on with it as the first couple of legs raced by.

Klaasen took the first leg and looked strong, but Anderson’s class seeped through as he hit the trebles regularly and came out with a 7-3 victory.

Mighty Mike nearly stole the show in his match up against Peter Wright, as he came close to a whitewash.

Michael van Gerwen raced into a 6-0 victory as Wright really struggled in-front of the excitable crowd.

But Wright found his form and pulled back a couple of legs back before the world number one took the last leg and secured his first win in Nottingham.

The night was rounded up by fan favourite, Raymond van Barneveld and Kim Huybrechts.

It was a fine way to round up a great night of darts as it was a close game with each player taking the lead then being pegged back.

Both struggled to hit the doubles throughout the match, with Huybrechts missing three darts at double one to win a leg.

In the end the two couldn’t be separated and the game ended in a draw, with Huybrechts looking the happier of the two.

The Premier League moves to Leeds for the third round of games next week.