Nottinghamshire County Council’s Trading Standards Team has urged residents to be cautious when carrying e-cigarettes and other items requiring batteries.

The warning comes after two separate reports of people burning their skin and clothes due to batteries overheating.

The incidents relate to overheated batteries in two separate e-cigarette products.

One man required hospital treatment as a result of the burn.

Councillor Glynn Gilfoyle, Committee Chairman for Community Safety, said: “There is no suggestion there was anything wrong with the e-cigarettes themselves, but on each occasion, loose batteries in the pocket used to power these items overheated, causing burns.

The Trading Standards team has recommended that people do not keep batteries in their pocket with loose coins.

Residents are being advised to only buy from reputable retailers and never leave batteries charging unattended.